UCEDD Leadership Development
AUCD has undertaken a set of technical assistance activities focused on UCEDD Director transitions and leadership development. On this page you will find information about AUCD leadership development activities, links to necessary AIDD documentation, and resources to plan and execute a successful director transition, including a guide for university search committees a report on the roles and experiences of senior staff members during transitions.
- Orientation Menu for New Directors: The orientation menu is an interactive tool for new directors to use as they navigate the system. The menu includes resources and activities indentified by AIDD and AUCD as being helpful when trying to comply with the AIDD requirements, leverage funds, and build positive relationships within the university. The purpose of the promising practices column is to allow new directors to customize their menu by inserting specific UCEDD programs who the new directors identify with and would like more information from.
- UCEDD Director Transitions:This webinar introduced two technical assistance documents related to UCEDD Director transitions -a guide for university search committees called UCEDD Leadership: A Guide to the Next Generation and a report on the roles and experiences of senior staff in UCEDD Director Transitions. The webinar also provided insight from Don Tebbe, Executive Vice President of Transition Guides, on the importance of planning for director transitions.
- The Perceptions of Past and Current UCEDD Directors on Transitioning in and out of the Role of UCEDD Director: Several UCEDDs across the country have recently experienced transitions of new leadership, as directors retire or pursue new professional opportunities. Transitions in general can by stressful, but transitions of directors, especially individuals who have held the position for a long period, can present particular challenges to a program. This webinar presented findings from a series of interviews of UCEDD Directors who have retired or left their program in the past five years and of Directors who have stepped into those positions in that same period.
- UCEDD Leadership Development Institute: AUCD is partnering with the National Leadership Consortium on Developmental Disabilities at the University of Delaware, with support from the Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, to conduct a Leadership Institute specifically designed for UCEDD leadership development. At the Institute, participants will study professional skills for UCEDD and developmental disabilities leadership, including fiscal and human resources management, strategic planning and organizational change, approaches for advocacy and policy influence, and strategies for working within academic institutions. The goal of this institute is to identify, develop and support emerging leadership within the UCEDD network.
- New! AIDD-AUCD Disability Leadership Fellowship: AUCD, in partnership with Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AIDD), is continuing the AIDD-AUCD Disability Leadership Fellows Program into its second year! The goal of the fellowship is to provide a leadership development and learning opportunity for UCEDD faculty, staff, and accomplished UCEDD trainees at the federal level. Fellows will work alongside AIDD leadership and staff on a range of policy and programmatic issues and will learn about the functions of AIDD and other federal agencies with whom they work.
- UCEDD Leadership: A Guide to the Next Generation: This guide, created by a workgroup of network members, introduces the DD Act and related regulations, expectations of AIDD, and recommendations from the network to assist search committees in finding new UCEDD Directors.
- The Perceptions of Past and Current UCEDD Directors on Transitioning in and out of the Role of UCEDD Director: This report summarizes the findings of a series of interviews of UCEDD Directors who have retired or left their program in the past five years and of directors who have stepped into those positions in that same period. The interviews and report were completed by Dr. Fred Orelove, former director of the Virginia UCEDD.
- Roles and Experiences of Senior Staff in UCEDD Director Transitions: This report presents findings from interviews with UCEDD senior staff members who recently experienced a director transition.
- Request for Director Changes: The Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities requires that a change in principle investigator on the core grant receive prior approval by AIDD. AIDD has added a requirement for a letter from the UCEDD's Authorized Representative (on university letterhead) recognizing the change in PI.
- Transition Guides is a private organization external to AUCD that provides nonprofit executive search, succession and sustainability planning consultation.
- Leadership blogs and newsletters
- Information Available Upon Request: For the documents below, please email Dawn Rudolph.
- UCEDD Organizational Charts
- Job Descriptions of UCEDD Directors and Associate Directors
- Results of National Salary Survey of UCEDD Directors and Associate Directors