Public Policy Education
- Lobbying ADD PI-01-1 (PDF) – Federal Informational Memo
- Education and Advocacy: Know the Difference (PDF)
- Your Role in Policy Advocacy as a Federally-Funded Program
AUCD Policy How-To’s
- Get to Know Your Members Plain language fact sheet on Congress and how to find who represents you
- Contacting Congress Fact sheet on how to contact your Members of Congress, once you find them
- Members of Congress Easy Read Plain language fact sheet on how to contact your Members of Congress, once you find them
- How to Schedule Your Hill Visit Fact sheet on how to schedule a meeting to educate your Member of Congress
- Make the Most of Your Hill Visit Fact sheet on how to educate your Member of Congress in a visit
- Relationshiops Building Easy Read Plain language fact sheet on talking points to structure a meeting with your Member of Congress during a visit
- Congressional Recess Guide Plain language fact sheet explaining a Congressional recess
- Public Comment and Regulations Plain language fact sheet explaining public comments and how to make them
- Public Hearings Plain Language explanation of public hearings and how to access them
- The Federal Budget Process Plain language explanation of the Federal Budget process
- State Level Policy 101 Plain language explanation of how to state educating state policymakers
- Tuesdays with Liz – a plain language video series highlighting current issues in disability policy
- COVID-19 Emergency Supplemental Funding Packages - Funding Directed to State, Local, Territorial, and Tribal Governments
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Re: COVID-19 - Information in this Frequently Asked Question document is here to help you continue UCEDD core functions during the COVID-19 pandemic. AUCD and the UCEDD Resource Center will continue to update this document as needed.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) 2.0 Re: COVID 19 - You can find the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Re: COVID-19 on the UCEDD Resource Center. Information in this Frequently Asked Question document is here to help you continue UCEDD core functions during the COVID-19 pandemic. AUCD and the UCEDD Resource Center will continue to update this document as needed.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Re: American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 - The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA) (P.L.117-2) was signed into law on to provide $1.9 trillion in additional federal relief to address the continued impact of COVID-19 on the economy, public health, state and local governments, individuals, and businesses. Several of the key provisions directly impacted the livesof people with disabilities, their families, and the professionals who support them that we will expand upon in this document.
Tips from Network Peers
- 2019 TA Institute Notes: How to Do More Policy Work and How to Pay for it (PDF)
- 2017 TA Institute Notes: Network Leadership in Policy and Practice
- 2013 Directors Retreat Notes: University-based Centers’ Efforts in Legislative Advocacy (PDF) Discussion and tips from experienced UCEDD Directors
- Elements of effective testimony (DOC) - detailed explanation of testifying, adapted from the American Academy of Pediatrics
Disability Policy Basics
- Disability Policy Resource Library – variety of topic-specific resources for state agency policy makers and program administrators
- What is Medicaid? Fact sheet on Medicaid and connection to long term services and supports
- About Medicaid Easy Read - View in plain language what is Medicaid.
- Medicaid state plan – best available description of what a Medicaid state plan is
- Medicaid state plan amendments – this page explains what a Medicaid and CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance Program) state plan is and includes links to Medicaid state plan amendments for all states and Territories.
- What is in your plan/who is covered – this website includes health information by category (including a category for Medicaid & CHIP) or by location (state or Territory). It also allows for comparison with any other state or territory.
- State Medicaid plans and Waivers – this page provides an overview of waivers.
Get Involved in AUCD Policy Efforts
- Love policy? We do too! AUCD Policy offerings (PDF)Description of AUCD’s policy offerings to keep up to date on policy
- Disability Policy News Sign up for weekly policy updates from AUCD, including plain language explanations and action steps for informing and advocating
- AUCD Policy Talk AUCD Blog on the complexities of disability policy, including submission guidelines (PDF)
Engage in Public Policy Development and Analysis
Understanding the UCEDD’s role in assuring that public policy adequately addresses issues of importance to people with disabilities and their families.