Social Media: An Essential Tool in the Democratization of Knowledge Dissemination and Engagement
Friday, March 26, 2021
2:00 - 3:00pm ET
Location: Zoom Webinar
Social media has a track record of spreading misinformation, yet it can also be one of the most democratic resources we have. The open-access format can reach many in the disability community and enable their voices to be heard, which mainstream media cannot do. The webinar will take a practical approach, highlighting how social media can amplify the voices and knowledge of our community for broader dissemination and engagement.
After attending this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the many sides to social media
- Identify how social media can be used as a tool for information dissemination
- Apply social media to increase engagement and inclusion
- Prepare a social media plan for dissemination and engagement
This is a webinar by AUCD's National Training Directors Council (NTDC).
Angela Makris, MPH
Before her research career, Angela Makris was employed in the marketing communications industry in Australia and Greece. She has a strong and highly versatile marketing and communications background, which she is now using in her research on the intersection of public health, active living, and disabilities. Her research interests involve applying practice theory to the social marketing framework to achieve health equity through active living for people with intellectual disabilities. Angela is a Ph.D. student and current UCEDD Trainee at the Florida Center for Inclusive Communities at the University of South Florida.
- There is no cost for this webinar.
- CEUs are not offered for this webinar.
- This webinar will be held on the Zoom Platform. You can test your connection with Zoom before joining the meeting here.
- For disability accommodations, email [email protected]
- This webinar will be archived.
Webinar Transcript (221KB) DOWNLOAD
Webinar Slides (2,463KB) DOWNLOAD
Additional Resource: Using Social Media to Promote Research (195KB) DOWNLOAD
Additional Resource: PESO Model Comms Plan Template (439KB) DOWNLOAD
Additional Resource: 30 Minute Social Media Marketing (2,578KB) DOWNLOAD