2022-2024 AUCD Emerging Leader Board MemberPosition Description and Selection
The Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD) is governed by an elected Board of Directors (Board) that includes professionals, individuals with disabilities, and family members. The Board has established a number of committees and councils made up of experts in the field to help the Board address emerging trends and issues, and facilitate communication across and beyond the AUCD network. For more information about the AUCD Board, go to www.aucd.org.
The AUCD Board of Directors is seeking nominations from the network's Emerging Leader community to fill the Emerging Leader Board Member voting position on the Board. (*Note that this is not the same as the Emerging Leader Intern.) The Emerging Leader Board Member will be a voting member on AUCD's national Board of Directors and represent the Association and broader AUCD network. This position will bring the voice and perspective of the AUCD Emerging Leader Community, including but not limited to trainees and early career professionals in the network.
Eligibility and Requirements
- An Emerging Leader is someone who:
- Is a current trainee from AUCD member sites with a minimum of one year of experience at a member site at the time of election; or
- Is an early career professional working at an AUCD member site and someone within five years of their traineeship, including self-advocates and family members, or completion of a relevant advanced degree in any health or related discipline.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Emerging Leaders Community and larger AUCD network
- Demonstrates an interest in national issues related to people with disabilities
- Provides feedback and has a dialogue with the Board on Emerging Leader activities and Board decisions that affect that network
- Models cultural and linguistic competence in interactions with colleagues and professionals from around the country representing a wide range of abilities, racial/ethnic backgrounds, and cultural identities
- Communicates information back to and gathers information from the Emerging Leaders Community as appropriate
Responsibilities and Time Commitment
- This position spans three years (beginning in the Fall at the AUCD Conference).
- Individuals nominated must be willing and able to serve on the Board for the full three-year term*
- Attend the in-person Board meetings at the AUCD Conference and Board Retreats (winter, summer):
- 1-2 day winter retreat (date/locations change each year)
- 1-2 day summer retreat (date/locations change each year)
- AUCD Annual Conference in Washington, D.C. in the Fall
- Join and participate in 3-4 Board conference calls per year (these happen every other month and not in months when the Board meets in person)
- Compose a written report to the Board approximately 6-7 times per year on activities and issues for the Board to consider around the Emerging Leaders Community's priorities and challenges
- Participate fully in all Board activities, including joining Board committees (e.g., finance, Conference)
- Join and participate in AUCD Emerging Leader Interns' conference calls once a month, including sharing Board and trainee activities
*If you leave your AUCD program or center during your Emerging Leader Board position term, you also relinquish your Board position.
Document #1 - AUCD Board - Emerging Leader Nomination Form - ( 57K) DOWNLOAD