Director of Development and Communications - Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD), Silver Spring, MDPosted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014
AUCD, a leading national disability organization, is currently seeking a dynamic individual to serve as Director of Development and Communications. AUCD has seen tremendous growth in the last 15 years and this position will help to build and strengthen existing capacity, visibility and impact by leading the overall development efforts of the association as well as assisting in the coordination of communications strategies and activities. This position will be a key member of the AUCD leadership team as a senior staff member and report to the Executive Director with the primary responsibilities of:
- The overall strategy and the day-to-day operations of AUCD's development program including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual, corporate, foundation and government funders in support of key strategic priorities and initiatives.
- Supporting AUCD's communication needs by building a solid brand with donors and other stakeholder groups.
- Building the private and public sector fundraising and communications capacity of AUCD network members.
- Monitoring and reporting progress to the AUCD staff and Board to ensure continued growth and sustainability.
This is a full-time position located in downtown Silver Spring, MD, one block from the red line Silver Spring Metro station.
AUCD is a highly regarded national nonprofit organization that promotes and supports a national network of over 100 interdisciplinary and research centers on disabilities. AUCD has a direct impact at the local, state and national levels to advance policy and practice through research, education, leadership, and services for and with individuals with disabilities and their families and communities, in support of independence, productivity, and a satisfying quality of life.
- Working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications will develop and implement an integrated and sustainable development strategy that includes funding from individuals, corporations, foundations and government sources in line with our overall strategic priorities and mission to increase organizational revenue by at least 30% over the next 2-3 years.
- To achieve this goal the Director will secure diversified funding in support of the following priorities and initiatives:
o Strengthen and grow AUCD's capacity to provide technical assistance and public policy
support to network members.
o Secure sponsorships for AUCD meeting and special events.
o Plan and execute an AUCD inaugural gala in the second half of 2015.
o Secure sustainable funding for an AUCD Disability Policy Fellow
o Grow AUCD's diversity and leadership development initiatives
o Expand AUCD's public policy capacity
o Enhance AUCD's capacity to provide advice and assistance to international partners seeking
to improve outcomes for their disability populations and learn from the expertise of our
o Support senior staff efforts to secure new federal funding streams for AUCD and the
o Increase donations to the Emerging Leader Scholarship Fund to facilitate attendance by
self-advocates, family members, early career professionals and other emerging leaders at
the AUCD Annual Conference.
o Implement cultivation events for donors and other stakeholders to learn about AUCD and
hear from leadership.
- The Director will assist with a communications plan for AUCD that raises its public profile in support of its strategic priorities. To achieve this, the Director will:
o Seek opportunities to build our brand recognition through local media outlets, social media
tools, and external speaking opportunities.
o Contribute high quality and compelling written communications to AUCD's existing efforts
including grant proposals, brochures, articles, blog posts, web updates and news letters to
communicate AUCD's fundraising goals and progress with external and internal audiences.
o Identify opportunities for enhancing the visibility of the work of AUCD and its partners in
coordination with AUCD's publications and web services staff.
- Bachelor's degree required; preferably a master's degree.
- 3 years minimum, preferably 5 or more years, professional experience in a nonprofit organization with demonstrated success in a development function, grant writing (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources) and event planning.
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time.
- Passion for and commitment to AUCD's mission are essential.
- Knowledge of donor database systems.
- Experience running fundraising events a plus.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones.
- Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives.
- Influencing: Creates a win-win situation, and has ability to convey ideas and to respond appropriately to key stakeholders.
- Organization: Demonstrated excellence in organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Project Management: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors.
AUCD provides a family-friendly and fun work environment, a competitive salary based on education and experience; health, dental, disability, life insurance and retirement benefits; and three weeks' vacation plus sick and personal days and paid holidays. This position is an opportunity to exercise your creativity and initiative in a fast-paced yet relaxed office atmosphere, and to make a significant difference in the lives of people with disabilities and their families.
Via email only, submit 1) a letter of interest, 2) a resume of relevant experiences, and 3) names and contact information for three references to:
Laura Martin, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The online job posting can be found here:
Information on AUCD: www.aucd.org
AUCD is an equal opportunity employer.
Persons from diverse cultures and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.