Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015: What it Means for Students with Disabilities
Presentation Slides (260KB) [download]
In order to view the webinar presentation, please click on the webinar icon below.|
3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
President Obama signed the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA, P.L. 114-95) on December 10, 2015. This bill reauthorizes and amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (otherwise known as the No Child Left Behind Act). While AUCD, NDRN, and NACDD had advocated for a stronger federal role in the accountability system, the DD Act partners supported the compromise measure and believe the final bill is stronger than the outdated No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) and the current waivers that are in effect today in most states. Indeed, using data and new knowledge about how to most effectively teach students with disabilities, the newly reauthorized law goes farther than the original 2002 NCLB to provide assistance to these students with disabilities to successfully graduate and become college and/or career-ready.
This webinar, sponsored by AUCD, NDRN, and NACDD, will provide a summary of the major provisions of the new law that most directly impact students with disabilities, including those with the most significant disabilities. Presenters will also provide concrete action steps for State Councils on Developmental Disabilities, Protection and Advocacy agencies, and University Centers to become actively involved in ensuring the successful implementation of the law. Presenters include staff of the sponsoring organizations a well as congressional staff that took the lead in drafting and moving this bill to successful enactment.
- William Knudsen, Office of Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
- Jake Cornett, Office of Ranking Member Patty Murray (D-WA)
- Brad Thomas, Office of Chairman John Kline (R-MN)
- Jacque Chevalier, Office of Ranking Member Bobby Scott (D-VA)
- Kim Musheno, Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD)
- Michael Gamel-McCormick, (AUCD)
- Amanda Lowe, National Disability Rights Network (NDRN)
- Cindy Smith, National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities (NACDD)
- There is NO cost for this webinar, but you must register
- CEUs are not offered for this webinar
- For disability accommodations email Anna Costalas or call 301-588-8252 a minimum of five days in advance.