MCHB/AUCD Interprofessional Leadership Learning Collaborative Off to a Fantastic Start
August 13, 2012
During the last week of July 2012, 18 leaders from several MCHB funded training programs (including LENDs, LEAHs, PPCs, Nutrition and the Pipeline programs) engaged in the first stage of a learning collaborative to build interprofessional leadership skills for MCH trainees in their programs. The purpose of the MCHB-AUCD Interprofessional Leadership Learning Collaborative is to engage MCHB-funded leadership training programs and their partners in an experiential, skill-based "community of practice" related to the UNC MCH Leadership Consortium training model. This evidence-based model includes both a local community of interprofessional leadership practice as well as a carefully crafted curriculum based on the MCH Leadership competencies. The overall goal of this learning collaborative is for participants to incorporate and evaluate this intentional type of leadership training as a component of their MCHB-funded leadership training programs.
The MCHB-AUCD Interprofessional Leadership Learning Collaborative is a year-long quality improvement opportunity comprised of in-person training workshops and on-going technical assistance to participant programs. The learning collaborative has just completed its initial activity, a 4-day "Leadership Intensive" held at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This workshop was conducted by members of the UNC MCH Leadership Consortium team. According to one workshop participant, "the exercises and instrument debriefings brought home the concepts and did so in a very powerful way!" Another stated, "I thought it was a nice balance between learning and experiencing." In addition to this 4-day intensive workshop, teams will participate in monthly technical assistance calls and two additional in-person strategic planning and implementation meetings.
Participating teams were chosen through a competitive application process. The following six teams have been chosen to participate in the 2012-2013 Interprofessional Leadership Learning Collaborative:
- Texas Team: LoneStar LEND
- New Hampshire Team: New Hampshire LEND at Dartmouth College, Institute on Disability (UCEDD) at the University of New Hampshire, and Center for Community Inclusion and Disability Studies at the University of Maine (UCEDD)
- Pennsylvania Team: UCLID Center LEND at the University of Pittsburgh, Children's Seashore House of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia LEND, and Institute on Disabilities UCEDD at Temple University
- Wisconsin Team: Waisman Center LEND at the University of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin Pediatric Pulmonary Center, and UW-Milwaukee MCH Pipeline Training Initiative
- Indiana Team: Indianapolis LEAH at Purdue University, Riley Child Development Center LEND, and Indiana MCH-Nutrition program
- California Team: CA LEND
This collaborative is an exciting quality improvement initiative supported through a cooperative agreement between the Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD) and the Health Resources and Services Administration's Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB). For additional information on the Interprofessional Leadership Learning Collaborative, please contact Meaghan McHugh at AUCD at 301-588-8252.