AUCD - Plenary A: The Journey Continues - Where We've Been<< Back to Program
Monday, November 7, 2011 02:30PM - 05:00PM
Location: Regency E/F/Center
Watch the full opening plenary video:
This opening plenary features an opening address by Senator Tom Harkin reflecting on the legislative accomplishments of the past 40 years and the challenges we currently face as we continue our journey. Then, through speakers and historical video clips, the plenary remembers some of the history, events, and people that led to the many accomplishments that have promoted equity and excellence for individuals with disabilities.
During the past 40 years, AUCD has been a leader in policy, research, training and service. AUCD's leadership brought about many accomplishments that have promoted equity and excellence for individuals with disabilities. Through speakers and historical video clips, the Opening Plenary remembers some of the history and events and people that led to these accomplishments. The plenary focuses on four themes:
- AUCD's leadership in advocating for legislation and policy that brought increased equity and civil rights;
- AUCD's leadership in furthering the movement from institutions to community based, person centered systems of support;
- AUCD's leadership in promoting an increased understanding of culture and the impact of disparity;
- AUCD's role in developing leaders in the disability movement; and
- AUCD's leadership in promoting self advocacy and self determination.
- Jerry W. Smith. Media Producer, Research and Training Center on Community Living, Institute on Community Integration, University of Minnesota
- Connie Garner, PhD. Policy Director, Foley Hoag LLC
- Valerie Williams, PhD. Director, Oklahoma UCEDD. Chair-Elect, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Bob Williams, PhD. Associate Commissioner of the Office of Employment Support Programs in the Social Security Administration